Thursday, December 14, 2006

#8 - Bangalore and back to Mysore

Ok, so I haven't posted here in almost 2 months. This is the second of three posts covering the time up until now (mid-December).
This entry is about what was happening at work while I was in Bangalore.

So I found out when I got to Bangalore that I would, as I requested, be relocated to Chicago. Or so I thought. There were a group of us supposed to be in Chicago. Then they told us that there wasn't anything for us to in Chicago, so they were moving us to various other places in the country. We protested, since we had been told that's where we'd be located.
After that there was a long period of frustration, struggle, cultural misunderstanding, and running around trying to get stuff worked out. We got moved from our Original Unit to a Second Unit. We talked to people at this Second Unit, and realized that we probably wouldn't be in Chicago for very long, and it really wasn't the kind of work we wanted to do. At this point, the HR in our Original Unit just wanted to be rid of us after all the fuss we made, so they didn't care where we went. So we told our contact in the Second Unit that we wanted a couple of days to see if we could find a different unit to join. So we ended up spending a day talking/cold calling (but in person) people in various places. Some people were helpful, other less so, but nobody was definitive about having a place for us. That is, until the last person we talked to. This was a unit that wasn't even assigned US batch people. They were really enthusiastic and positive about finding room for us in Chicago, and about having us join the team. She then sent us to the head of HR for the unit, and this guy was great. He is the most helpful person I've met in India. He was very upfront about everything (that's a problem here in India, people often tell you what you want to hear and string you along to avoid conflict). Even better, he was decisive and proactive, one of the biggest problems with people here in India. I could go on about how I like this guy, but long story short he got everything worked out for us to join our Current Unit.
The only thing is, our Current Unit doesn't work out of Bangalore. That meant we had to move back to Mysore. So we're here again. I'm not back in my old room, but I am in the same building. It's a lot cleaner and more relaxed than Bangalore, which is nice. But I should be here for the rest of the time.

No comments: